What to Do If You Are Injured In Southern California
Important Things to Do After an Accident
Being involved in a car accident can be a frightening and overwhelming experience, but it’s important to take certain steps to protect yourself and other drivers. The following steps can better position you to recover compensation for your injuries while protecting your legal rights.
- Seek Medical AttentionCheck on everyone involved in the accident and call for emergency medical help if it’s needed. Be sure you give responders details about the accident and any symptoms you are experiencing. As soon as you are able, get medical care, even if you feel fine. Many injuries, including brain injuries, may not cause symptoms for the first few days and delaying medical treatment will hurt your case and may impact your health. Be sure you follow all advice and directions from your doctor.
- Contact the PoliceCall the police to the scene immediately and request an accident report that details the crash. Ask for a copy of the report and keep it for your records. Your car accident attorney will also use this report to help prepare your injury claim.
- Collect EvidenceCollect as much evidence as possible as soon as you can after the accident. This includes writing down all details you can remember of the accident; gathering contact information for the other driver and any witnesses; getting insurance information from the other driver; and taking plenty of pictures of the scene that includes factors that may have contributed to the accident, the position of the vehicles; damage to the vehicles; close-up shots; and wide shots of the entire scene.
- Do Not Speak with Insurance Companies Before Hiring an Attorney
DO NOT speak to any insurance companies, especially on a recorded line. It is not in your best interest to speak to them because although they will seem like they are trying to help you initially, they may and will use anything you say to them against you as the claim progresses. Unfortunately, insurance companies are in the business of making money & keeping money so they will do so at all costs, even if you are their client.
- Do Not Admit LiabilityBe careful about what you say to the police, insurance company and other parties involved in the accident. Admitting guilt or even saying you’re sorry can be used against you and may cause a claim to be brought against you.
- Call an Injury AttorneyContact an experienced car accident injury attorney in Los Angeles as soon as possible to protect your rights and begin building your injury claim to seek compensation from the responsible parties.